Welcome to My Kindness Movement

Welcome! This blog is about following my journey to become kinder. The mission is to perform random acts of kindness whenever and wherever I can. I hope you will contribute with comments and suggestions, as well as your own kindness experiences.

Sunday 23 November 2014

150 items



This was an amazing challenge! I did manage it and the whole experience did really make me take a good hard look at what stuff is actually important and what I actually really need. In reality I am not emotionally attached to many of my possessions or need too much stuff. In fact my smart phone got damaged on a mountain hike in the Lakes in torrential rain and I lived absolutely happily without it - it was everyone else that got annoyed that they could not contact me!

I began the week thinking about what impact giving away my large DVD collection had had on me a number of months ago and I realised that it didn't have any impact at all. We now have instant access to movies and TV series online and no longer need to collect DVDs. I then moved on to thinking about the books that I own. I rarely read the books I have and to be honest I have started to make a lot more use of the local library these days; I have always loved it but I have recently rediscovered that love. I also thought about the last time that I used a cookbook and found that I always refer to the BBC's online food guide - it is amazing! Basically, after a lot of sorting out I put a ridiculous amount of stuff onto Freecycle and have had people coming and going from my flat to collect goodies all week. It has been absolutely great to see that others will get some use out of these items. I also have created several bags of goods for the local charity shops too and I will distribute these in the coming weeks. This challenge has been made a little easier for me as I am moving into a shared house in about 5 weeks and everything will be provided. This has enabled me to get rid of all of the furniture in the flat and kitchen items - these things tend to make our number of possessions go up. I am leaving the flat with the absolute bare minimum amount of possessions. There is absolutely no way I could get my stuff down to 150 items in any other circumstance as we need certain things to live - something to sit on, something to cook with and eat off, something to put our clothes in and some general decoration in a place.

I am now left with my absolute favourite things: a laptop, a phone, a camera, an ipod, a motorbike and kit, a box of clothes, a box of craft items, old university notebooks (this is something I find hard to part with- I have this dream to go back and study again), a tent and kit, roller skates and blades, a folder of trail hikes, a tennis racket, a badminton racket, a bicycle, my bag from Marrakech, a couple of frames and pictures, a flower jar, a vintage looking candle holder, brownie baking kit, a box of adminy stuff and most importantly my passport.

2 comments:

  1. This is absolutely amazing! I can't believe you managed to get your possessions down to just 150. I wonder if there are any that you will miss in the future, or if there are other ways to replace them (ie borrowing). Well done x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathryn! I have been so busy lately I meant to send you a message to say that I got the idea for this challenge from your blog after reading about the minimalists, so a massive thank you to you!! It was already in the back of my mind after reading an article about 4 months ago about this chap that got his possessions down to 100 items. I am now in a good position to try this as I am moving into a shared house and have had time to question what is important to me.

    The thing is I was pretty minimalist before but had furniture for the flat and all the stuff that fills rooms. Now I have a few boxes and am moving into a tiny room in a beautiful house - this makes it worth it!

    ReplyDelete

Please select a profile type to show your name with your comment, i.e. your Google ID. If you don't have one of the ID types on the list, then just select anonymous to leave a comment anyway.